These high fiber low carb recipes are delicious and so easy to make! Filled with vegetables, protein and healthy fats, the healthy low carb high fiber meals in this collection will provide enough fiber to keep your digestion going! With a bit more fiber at every meal, you can actually optimize your low carb diet for weight loss and great overall health.
Low Carb Diets Come With This Side Effect
One of the not so magical results of following a low carb or keto diet is constipation. We know that. Been there, done that. While I’m not following a strict low carb or keto diet anymore, I have reduced my carbohydrate intake significantly by enjoying more low carb meals throughout the day. I do this because I need to watch my blood sugar and because it helps to make my diet more nutritious. You’d be surprised how many green stuff you’ll eat when you cut out gluten and most grains from your diet. So, at every meal, I make sure to include lots of non-starchy vegetables and berries, since these are healthy low-carb high-fiber foods.
Why We Need Fiber
As 80’s as it might sound, getting enough fiber is so important. While fiber is not actually a nutrient, since we don’t absorb it, it does more than get rid of constipation. Consuming enough fiber by enjoying fruits, vegetables and legumes can improve all systems in our bodies. Fiber has been shown to:
- have an anti-inflammatory effect
- help prevent certain types of cancer and cardiovascular disease
- improve your gut microbiome
- bind harmful substances in your GI tract and to prevent them from getting into your body
- help us maintain a healthy weight
How Much Fiber Do We Need
The minimum recommended amount of fiber is 25g/day for women and 38g/day for men (source). As you will see from the recipes below, it’s not that hard to get enough, even when you’re not eating whole grains or legumes.
A Little Warning
Be sure to be drinking a lot of water when you start consuming more fiber. In some cases, eating more fiber while not getting enough water can backfire and actually cause constipation. Water binds to fiber and makes it bulk up to keep things “smooth”. So, increase your fiber intake gradually and do so by getting enough water into your diet.
Low-Carb High-Fiber Foods For Gut Health
It’s easy to get enough fiber, even on a low carb diet, when you know what to eat. Here are some great examples of foods to enjoy:
- Seeds and nuts like almonds, chia seeds, flaxseed, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds
- Berries like blackberries, strawberries and raspberries
- Cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower Brussels sprouts, cabbage and kale
- Green beans and peas
- Leafy greens like spinach and arugula
- Non-starchy fruits and vegetables like peppers, onion, garlic, zucchini, tomatoes, eggplant, asparagus, avocado
- All herbs and spices like parsley, cilantro, basil and mint
Great For Weight Loss
A diet that is naturally low in carbs and rich in fiber is usually very nutrient dense and will help keep you satiated for longer, so you will avoid snacking and overeating. Research has shown that both a high-fiber diet and a low carb diet are beneficial for weight loss and maintaining a healthy weight. When you combine them, you basically get best of both worlds.
17 High Fiber Low Carb Recipes That Taste Delicious
Spiced ground beef, lots of vegetables and avocado mash make these bowls the perfect meal to make ahead for the week. Full of flavor, super nutritious and very tasty. You can find the recipe here.
Per serving: 598 kcal | 33g carbohydrates | 14g fiber
Green beans, shrimp, broccoli and sweet peppers make it into this healthy flavorful stir-fry that you can prepare in about 15 minutes. The recipe is here.
Per serving: 289 kcal | 19g carbohydrates | 6g fiber
Use chicken breast or skinless boneless chicken thighs to make this amazing dish with cabbage, carrots and garlic. You’ll find the recipe here.
Per Serving: 474 kcal | 25g carbohydrates | 9g fiber
Got some leftover chicken and avocado? Make this healthy chicken salad! It’s great on toast or in lettuce wraps for lunch, light dinner or even a bigger snack. Recipe here.
Per serving: 294 kcal | 14g carbohydrates | 8g fiber
Baked salmon, roasted vegetables, fresh greens and feta cheese turn a simple salad into something that you will crave every day. So healthy and so delicious! Recipe here.
Per serving: 584 kcal | 33g carbohydrates | 9g fiber
This is the perfect vegetarian low carb high fiber meal! It tastes wonderful, is ready in 20 minutes even when you make it from scratch, is very customizable and super healthy. Recipe here.
Per Serving: 242 kcal | 25g carbohydrates | 10g fiber
I know it looks very green, but this chicken salad is simply incredible! With Parmesan cheese, avocado, garlic and toasted sesame seeds it tastes divine. Recipe here.
Per serving: 578 kcal | 24g carbohydrates | 13g fiber
Yes, you can even enjoy a fully plant-based dinner when you’re following a low carb diet! This tofu stir-fry is high in protein, relatively low in carbs and very rich in fiber. It’s easy and delicious too! The recipe is here.
Per serving: 476 kcal | 49g carbohydrates | 16g fiber
With mushrooms, herbs, zucchini and ground turkey this healing soup is great for your body! Recipe here.
Per serving: 310 kcal | 13g carbohydrates | 5g fiber
You will be amazed how fast you can pull this one off! If you’ve got some leftover chicken, this is the meal you need to make. It’s healthy, it’s quick, easy to make and SO good. Recipe here.
Per serving: 592 kcal | 32g carbohydrates | 10g fiber
Cobb salad, but even healthier with more fiber and antioxidants. It’s super satisfying, high in protein and will fill you up for longer. Recipe here.
Per serving: 634 kcal | 29g carbohydrates | 15g fiber
The cabbage soup you will actually want to eat, not just for weight loss, but because it tastes that good! The recipe is here.
Per serving: 252 kcal | 17g carbohydrates | 5g fiber
You will seriously be surprised when you taste this amazing low carb dish! It’s very simple and quick, but you will want to make it again and again and again. Recipe here.
Per serving: 443 kcal | 18g carbohydrates | 7g fiber
This homemade chicken soup is quick and filled with anti-inflammatory ingredients like ginger, turmeric and black pepper. It’s a fresh and flavorful soup that you will want to make again and again! Recipe here.
Per serving: 400 kcal | 15g carbohydrates | 6g fiber
This refreshing salad is filled with avocado, pan-seared shrimp, arugula, tomatoes, basil and cucumbers among others and it’s perfect for lunch or dinner. You can find the recipe here.
Per serving: 354 kcal | 20g carbohydrates | 9g fiber
You’ll be surprised how good these salmon bowls are! They are a much lighter, yet flavorful option for dinner that your family will love. To keep the recipe lower carb, make sure to use the zucchini hummus. Recipe here.
Per Serving: 580 kcal | 20g carbohydrates | 8g fiber
A healthier, more nutritious egg salad without mayo – this egg salad is so much better for you and it tastes so good! Perfect for lettuce wraps and on toast too!
Per Serving: 242 kcal | 12g carbohydrates | 6g fiber
More Healthy Recipes For Weight Loss
- 40+ Delicious Healthy Weight Loss Recipes
- 50+ Vegetarian Meal Prep Recipes
- 12 Quick And Easy Low Carb High Proten Meals
FOR THE GROUND BEEF:
- 12 oz/350g ground beef
- 1 sweet green pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp mint
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp onion, thinly chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, thinly chopped
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2/3 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olives, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped onions
- pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp chopped jalapenos
- 1 zucchini/ bell pepper, roasted or grilled
- 6 cups chopped lettuce or greens
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped radishes
- 1/2 cup thinly chopped cilantro or parsley
- 3 tbsp crumbled feta cheese
- Chop up the vegetables for the beef and the bowls. Carrots into tiny pieces, sweet peppers thinly, onions, thinly, lettuce, jalapenos, radishes, parsley or cilantro and tomatoes. Mince the garlic.
- Add some olive oil, the ground beef, onion, mint, cumin, paprika and chili powder to a nonstick pan and stir together for about 3-4 minutes at medium-high heat breaking the beef into chunks. Once the beef is no longer pink, add in the sweet pepper, some garlic and the chopped carrot. From there, reduce the heat a bit and stir occasionally for 4-5 more minutes until flavors are combined and the meat is done. Drizzle some lemon juice and take off heat.
- Mash the avocado with tomatoes, lemon juice, olives, onions and a pinch of salt.
- Arrange the bowls. Add the lettuce as a base, ground beef on top, then roasted vegetables of choice, radishes, onions, jalapenos, the avocado mash. As a final touch crumble feta cheese and sprinkle parsley or cilantro on top.
Original recipe at Clean Healthy Meals.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 598Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 112mgSodium: 362mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 14gSugar: 12gProtein: 41g